Print this Page

About Us

On March 18, 1876, a one-room schoolhouse on Harvie Road opened. The School Board paid $62.50 to John Wright for the land. The school was named the Mechanicsville School. In September 1908 a new school on Mechanicsville Turnpike opened. The new school was much bigger; it had six classrooms, an auditorium, office, sewing room, basement, and central heat. A neighborhood contest was held to name this new school. “Glen Lea”
was the winning entry. It was assumed that the name came from the farm named Glen Lea. The current building, located in the Fairfield District, was built in 1949 and is at the corner of Austin and Laburnum Avenues.

Permanent link to this article: https://glenlea.henricoschools.us/about-us/